Conservation areas and listed buildings
If you are an owner or developer, you will be largely responsible for the quality of your conservation areas.
Owners and developers play an important and direct role in conservation. Here is some advice we offer for owners and developers to consider.
- Think carefully about the decisions you take.
- Examine your building regularly and make sure problems are repaired.
- Get professional help where possible. Go for quality workmanship as this pays off.
- Comment on planning applications. You can suggest improvements and tell us what you do and don't like.
- On many issues there is no need to write long letters, an email or a phone call will do.
- Explore the history of a conservation area, such as local history publications and societies. Things you took for granted may suddenly come alive.
Planning advice for buildings and structures of national architectural or historic interest.
Planning controls in a conservation area
Additional planning requirements apply for development in a conservation area.