Toggle menu

Planning controls in a conservation area

For development in a conservation area, certain additional planning requirements apply.

Planning permission in a conservation area

Planning permission is often needed in conservation areas, even for small additions or changes to a dwelling or for outbuildings. For example, permission is needed to add dormer windows and for most forms of external cladding.

Find out more about planning guidance for householders.

Planning permission to demolish conservation area buildings

Planning permission is normally needed to demolish any building with a total cubic content exceeding 115 cubic metres, or a substantial part of such a building.

Planning permission may also be required for the demolition of other structures, such as the demolition of a gate, fence or wall or other means of enclosure.

As the legislation is complicated, we recommend you contact us before beginning any demolition work.


Phone: 023 8028 5345

Advertisement consent in a conservation area

Certain further classes of illuminated signs and hoardings around construction sites in conservation areas require consent.

Find out more about listed building consent on the Planning Portal website.

Trees in a conservation area

Trees in a conservation area have the same protection as those covered by Tree Preservation Orders. It is an offence to fell or prune such trees without prior written consent.

Find out more about .

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email