Toggle menu

Change in circumstances for benefits

We need to be kept informed of any changes that could affect your benefit claim.

We understand that circumstances change all the time, but it is important that we know as soon as possible. This will help us to pay you the right amount of benefit.

It is a criminal offence to give us false information.

Tell us about a change

If your circumstances change, you can tell us using the online form below.

If you do not tell us about a change and we pay you too much, you will have been overpaid. We will ask you to pay back the amount by which you have been overpaid. Find out more about overpayment of benefits.

Types of changes in circumstance

The types of changes in circumstance that you need to tell us about are listed below.


  • If you or anyone you live with starts working or gets a pay rise.
  • If you or your partner stop working.
  • If you stop getting any state benefits.
  • If the income of a non-dependant changes.


  • If the amount of your savings or investments goes up. If the total is still less than £6,000, you do not have to tell us.
  • If you or our partner has a change in capital taking the total to over £16,000.


  • If anyone leaves or joins your household.
  • If any of your children leave school.
  • If you or anyone you live with goes into a hospital, nursing home or prison.
  • If you are likely to be away from your home for more than 13 weeks or outside of Great Britain for more than 4 weeks.

Your address

  • If the amount of rent you pay increases. If you are claiming Universal Credit, you will need to advise us.
  • If you move to a new home. We need to know your new address, rent and the date you move in.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email