Toggle menu

Planning guidance for businesses

If you wish to make alterations to property, you may need to apply for planning permission.

We can only advise on planning matters for properties that are within the New Forest district outside the National Park. Before contacting us, you can confirm that your business's property address falls within the district by using our online postcode lookup below.

If the business property is within the New Forest National Park, you will need to apply to the National Park Authority for planning permission.

If the business property is within the New Forest district outside the National Park, you can apply for planning permission via the Planning Portal using the online form below.

We also provide planning guidance for householders and planning guidance for developers.

On this page:

Requirements for planning permission

Sometimes a low-key use and small changes to business premises do not need planning permission, as they benefit from what is termed 'permitted development'. Find out more about .

You can check with us if you need planning permission by submitting a pre-application enquiry form. You should also include details of your project and the relevant fee. We will provide an opinion in writing as to whether the work does or does not require permission, though this is not a legally binding decision.

It may be that your business requires a legally binding decision on the need or otherwise of obtaining planning permission before proceeding with a proposal. If this is the case, you can submit a certificate lawful proposed development application form. You should also provide accurate details for your project and the relevant fee. You will receive a formal decision as to whether or not your proposal is permitted development, or if an application for planning permission is required.

If your business is carrying out building works, you will probably also need consent under the Building Regulations. Find out more on our .

Pavement licenses for temporary furniture

The government has introduced a new, streamlined process to allow businesses to quickly obtain a licence to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes with a decision made within 14 working days.  These provisions remain in place until 30 September 2022.  The new licence will support venues to operate safely, boost income and protect local jobs.

You can find out more information about this scheme and make an application using this link

The licences are available for any business premises that sell food or drink for consumption; including pubs, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours, supermarkets, or entertainment venues which sell food and drink.


Information for Pop-up Campsites

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 provides an exemption for temporary 'pop-up' campsites, which allows the use of land as a camping site for up to 28 days a year without the need for planning permission. 

Find out further information on the requirements to comply with the Habitat Regulations for these campsites using this link.


Supplementary planning documents

We publish several supplementary planning documents (SPDs) which should be taken into account when preparing proposals for some businesses.  The list below may be relevant to your particular proposals, but you will need to consider all planning policy guidance to see if there other policies that may be relevant.

Shop front design guide (PDF) [2MB] (opens new window)

Parking standards (PDF) [710KB] (opens new window)    

Design of waste management facilities in new development (PDF) [1MB] (opens new window)


Permission in principle

The permission in principle (PiP) consent route is an alternative way of obtaining planning permission for housing-led development. PiP separates the consideration of matters of principle for proposed development from the technical detail of the development.

The PiP route has two stages:

  1. The permission in principle stage establishes whether a site is suitable in principle.
  2. The technical details consent stage is when the detailed development proposals are assessed.

Article 5B of the Permission in Principle (Amendment) Order 2017 sets out development that is specifically excluded from a grant of permission in principle. This includes habitats development and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) development. 

As a result of this, we are unable to accept any applications for permission in principle. This is because the area includes and is close to a number of significant environmental designations of international nature conservation importance.

The New Forest European and Solent Coast European sites include European nature conservation designations such as Special Protection Areas (SPAs) and Special Areas of Conservation (SACs). These locations are detailed below.

New Forest European Sites

  • The New Forest SAC.
  • The New Forest SPA.
  • The New Forest Ramsar site. 

Southampton Water and Solent Cost European Sites

  • The Solent Maritime SAC.
  • The Solent and Southampton Water SPA.
  • The Southampton and Isle of Wight Lagoons SAC.
  • The Solent and Southampton Water Ramsar site.
  • The River Avon SAC.
  • The River Avon SPA.
  • The Avon Valley Ramsar site.
  • The Dorset Heaths SAC.
  • The Dorset Heathlands SPA.
  • The Dorset Heathlands Ramsar site. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email