Cemetery fees and charges
We publish details of the fees and charges related to our cemetery services.
Our fees and charges need to be paid in advance. We do not currently provide a payment plan service.
On this page:
Resident cemetery fees
Residents of the New Forest get a 50% discount on all cemetery fees.
You qualify for resident fees if you are:
- a current resident of the New Forest district
- a non-resident paying for a resident of the New Forest
- a previous resident who has relocated due to dependent living needs
- a previous resident who has relocated due to independent living needs, but lived in the district for at least ten years prior to relocation
- a previous resident who purchased a plot whilst living as a resident in the forest.
If you do not meet the resident fees criteria, you will have to pay the non-resident fee charges.
For clarity on whether you qualify as a resident, call us on 023 8028 5952.
Child funeral costs
Parents, guardians or carers of any child under the age of eighteen (seventeen years or less) will not have to pay any cemetery fees.
These charges will be recovered by us from the Children's Funeral Fund for England.
Your chosen funeral director will be able to provide further guidance.
For more information please visit GOV.UK.
Current fees and charges
Our current cemetery fees and charges are listed on this page. You can also download a copy below.
Cemetery Fees and Charges (PDF) [144KB] (opens new window)
Interment (burial) fees
For the interment of a body of a person whose age at the time of death exceeded eighteen years.
- Family organised interment administration fee: resident £145, non-resident £145.
- Interment of ashes in a cremated remains section: resident £360, non-resident £720.
- Interment of ashes in a grave or woodland grave: resident £360, non-resident £720.
- Child interment (up to and including 17 years old): resident N/A, non-resident N/A. (these costs are not paid by parent, guardian or carer).
- Single / double lawn / woodland grave: resident £770, non-resident £1,540.
- Traditional kerbed section, specific sections and cemeteries: resident £980, non-resident £1,960.
- Use of memorial garden: resident £115, non-resident £230.
- Burial chamber for uncoffined burials: resident £1,820, non-resident £3,640.
- Postponement or cancellation (within 48 hours of interment): interment fee.
- Burial on a Saturday: interment fee plus 50%.
Purchase new plots for 30 years and transfer fees for existing plots
- Cremated remains plot: resident £400, non-resident £800.
- Woodland cremated remains plot: resident £520, non-resident £1,040.
- Single depth child grave (up to and including 17 years old) within Childrens Section: resident N/A, non-resident N/A. (these costs are not paid by parent, guardian or carer).
- Child (up to and including 17 years old) graves within other sections: resident POA, non-resident POA.
- Single / double lawn / woodland grave: resident £985, non-resident £1,970.
- Eling and Calshot single / double lawn grave, including memorial ground support: resident £1,085, non-resident £2,170.
- Traditional kerbed grave, specific sections and cemeteries: resident £1,535, non-resident £3,070.
- Location selected by purchaser: resident £250, non-resident £250.
- Assignment / Transfer of Exclusive Right of Burial: resident £155, non-resident £155.
- Re-issue of Exclusive Right of Burial: resident £60, non-resident £60.
- Surrender or cancellation of Exclusive Right of Burial: pro-rata refund, no charge.
- Purchase of a burial plot requiring two grave spaces, oversized plot: two burial plot fees.
All memorial fees need to be accompanied with the relevant application form.
- Permission to erect or amend a memorial: resident £190, non-resident £190.
- Permission to erect or amend a memorial with kerbstone, traditional sections: resident £380, non-resident £380.
- Permission for in situ maintenance of memorial, no changes to memorial: no charge.
- Permission to erect or amend a memorial, up to and including 17 years of age: resident N/A, non-resident N/A. (these costs are not paid by parent, guardian or carer).
- Permission for offsite repair or maintenance of a memorial and removal from cemetery: resident £60, non-resident £60.
- Purchase of a woodland plaque with plinth and vase plus VAT: contact us for costs.
- Purchase of a memorial garden plaque only, plus VAT: contact us for costs.
- Purchase of a council-owned memorial bench plaque, plus VAT: contact us for costs.
Our sundry fees are:
- use of chapel, included in interment fee: no charge
- research fees per hour: £60.
If you do not wish to use a registered funeral director to organise your interment on your behalf, you are able to organise a family organised interment yourself.
Family-organised interments will incur an additional administration fee and require a method statement, statutory declaration and insurance cover.
Payment of cemetery fees
We accept payment by cheque or BACs (Faster Payment).
All payment must be accompanied by the relevant paperwork and completed application form.
Payment in itself does not confirm your interment booking or memorial request.
With burials and cremated remains interments, payment needs to be received by the Cemeteries Office by no later than 48 hours prior to interment.
Paying by cheque
Make your cheque payable to NFDC and forward to:
New Forest District Council
Paying by BACs
Payment can be made by calling Customer Services on 023 8028 5000.
For enquiries, contact the Cemeteries Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 023 8028 5952.