Toggle menu

Tenancy management

If you rent a property from us, you will have a tenancy or a licence. You may have an introductory, fixed-term or lifetime tenancy. In all cases, you have certain obligations in how you manage your home.

Tenants, or residents with concerns about tenants, can call 023 8028 5222 or email

Our tenancy management team deal with a variety of tenancy and estate issues.

On this page:

New lettings

When a letting begins, we will meet with you and provide a copy of your agreement. This will confirm your rights and obligations. We will also confirm the rent and/or charges to be paid. Our rents team will contact you separately to arrange a visit. Our current tenancy policy is available below.

Tenancy Policy (PDF) [230KB]

Tenancy advice

We want you to enjoy your home, so we will support you during your occupation of the property. We also want you to manage your occupation in a way that is respectful towards your neighbours and the local community.

We have dedicated officers who work in specific areas. Our colleagues know your neighbourhood well, meaning that when you need us, you will have a familiar person to help provide advice and support.

If your tenancy allows you to make repairs or improvements, you need our permission before doing so. See our page on Self-Help Advice for Repairs.

If you have questions or concerns, you can call us on 023 8028 5222 or email

Nuisance or anti-social behaviour

Our neighbourhoods should be a safe and welcoming environment for all residents and visitors. This is why there are certain obligations included in your tenancy and licence agreements.

If you have immediate concerns for your safety, you should contact the police straight away. Record the log number you are given as this may be needed in the future.

We will take action to assist with nuisance, anti-social behaviour or harassment, but only if is being caused by an occupier, household member or visitor to one of our properties.

Nuisance is behaviour or action that causes disruption, distress and/or interference to neighbours. Examples include:

  • a one-off party
  • animals that are out of control
  • persistent loud music
  • repeated disturbances, particularly at night
  • damage caused to shared facilities.

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is rarely straightforward. We consider ASB to be events on estates that involve criminal behaviour, including drugs and unprovoked assault.

Harassment can be defined as someone deliberately inflicting fear, violence or aggression on another person or group. If this is because of race, gender, sexual orientation or disability, then this type of harassment is a criminal offence.

If you are experiencing nuisance, you should try talking to the person causing the nuisance. They may be unaware that they are causing a problem and may not intend to cause harm.

To help with any nuisance, ASB or harassment, we will need clear details of the complaint. This includes the names and addresses of those causing the problem, if possible. We recommend recording details using a diary.

You can report nuisance, ASB or harassment using our online form. We will investigate, without revealing your identity, and use any evidence you provide to deal with the issue appropriately. If there is no breach of tenancy conditions and we cannot resolve the situation, we will give advice on alternative options available. In extreme cases, we will take legal action.

Successions and mutual exchanges

In some cases, you may want to change who shares your responsibilities as a tenant. Whether this is possible will depend on the tenancy you hold and other circumstances. In limited situations, your partner or an adult permanently living in your home could succeed your tenancy if you die.

To discuss your options, call us on 023 8028 5222 or email

If you hold a secure tenancy, you can swap your home with another social housing tenant. This is called a mutual exchange. We partner with the HomeSwapper service to assist those tenants who want to swap their home.

You will need to register with the HomeSwapper website to exchange your property.

When you're ready to exchange, you will need to notify us by completing a mutual exchange application form, which you can download below.

Mutual Exchange Application Form (PDF) [61KB]

You should print this form and complete it by hand. You can then take it to any of our offices, for the attention of the tenancy management team. Alternatively, you can send it by post to:

Tenancy Management
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
SO43 7PA

Investigating concerns about a property

We can provide advice and assistance if you are concerned about the condition of one of our properties. We can help if you believe the tenant is not occupying the property or is subletting. Alternatively, we can investigate and take action if you notice anything suspicious regarding an occupied or empty council home.

If you have any concerns, you can call us on 023 8028 5222 or email We will treat any contact confidentially.

Contact us

If the information above hasn't answered your question, you can contact us for help:

  • fill out our online contact form
  • email us at
  • call us on 023 8028 5222.   

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email