Toggle menu

Submit a building regulation application


On this page:

Submit an application

You can submit all the types of application form outlined on this page to us online.

Alternatively, you can download an application form below and send it to us by email or post.

LABC Building Regulations Form (Full Plans) (Word doc) [286KB]

LABC Building Regularisation Certificate Application Form (England) (Word doc) [206KB]

LABC Building Regulation Building Notice Form (Word doc) [415KB]

You can email the completed application form to

You can also print the form and send it by post to:

Building Control
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
O43 7PA

Types of application

Full plans application

A full plans application must include:

  • a site plan
  • proposed plans and elevations
  • building specification.

In some cases, structural calculations may also be required. The information should provide enough detail to demonstrate compliance to the Building Regulations.

Our surveyors will thoroughly check the information and plans, as well as carry out any necessary consultations, for example fire and sewerage consultation. This also allows any potential issues to be identified before the works commence on site.

If the plans comply with the Building Regulations, a notice will be sent stating that the plans have been approved. This will be received within 6 to 8 weeks from the date when the plans were deposited.

If the plans do not comply with the Building Regulations, we may request amendments or further information. Alternatively, we may issue a conditional approval.

Building notice application

A building notice application is generally a quicker process than a full plans application, as there is no obligation to provide plans for checking.

This type of application is most suitable for smaller works which need to be undertaken promptly, since works can commence after submitting the application.

You cannot use a building notice application for work that:

  • concerns a building where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety ) Order 2005 applies, or will apply after completion of the building works (a full Plans application will be required)
  • will be built close to or over rainwater and foul drains shown on the 'map of sewers' (exception may occur where sufficient plans are deposited to enable us to consult where applicable)
  • results in a new building fronting onto a private street

To submit a building notice application, you should be confident that the work will be carried out to fully comply with the Building Regulations. Otherwise, there is a risk that corrective works may be requested.

Structural calculations or design may be requested by the inspecting surveyor, which must then be provided.

Regularisation application

Where works have been conducted without building regulations approval, a regularisation application will be required.

This is a retrospective application concerning previously unauthorised works which started on or after 11 November 1985.

Exposure, removal and corrective works may be needed to show compliance with the Building Regulations, depending on the type of work.

Contact us to discuss your individual circumstances and determine if a regularisation application is required.

Reversion application

Reversion applications apply when your private building control service provider can no longer continue to oversee your project.

If this situation arises, you can contact us for advice by calling 023 8028 5245 or emailing

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email