Toggle menu

Reporting a problem

Everyone visiting the New Forest National Park is asked to follow the New Forest Code to make the most of their visit. 

On this page:


If you experience or witness anti-social behaviour or a crime, you can report it in a number of ways: 

  • in an emergency where someone is at immediate risk of harm dial 999 
  • for incidents of non-emergency or anti-social behaviour please ring 101
  • you can also report crimeanti-social behaviour to Hampshire Constabulary online.


If you see a fire within the New Forest, take yourself to a place of safety and call Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service on 999. 

BBQs and are not allowed in any area of the New Forest due to the high fire risk. Call Forestry England on 0300 067 4600 to report one or Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service on 999 if the fire is out of control. This includes campfires and bonfires.

Emergency at the coast

If there is an emergency at the coast, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.

Litter and waste

We empty our bins regularly and have increased the times we work and the number of collections where we have the staff to do so.

If a bin is full please take your litter home.

Littering is subject to an £80.00 on the spot fine.


Hampshire County Council are responsible for on street parking enforcement where there are traffic regulation orders in place for example, yellow lines and signs.

We only have powers to issue Penalty Charge Notices in NFDC car parks.

For dangerous parking or obstruction on the highway call 101 or 999 in emergency.

It is a criminal offence to knowingly damage habitats in the New Forest, this includes parking on Forest roadside verges.

Wild camping

Camping is only permitted at official campsites and you cannot sleep overnight in our car parks. You can report breaches in our car parks to us on 02380 285000 or

Wild camping is not allowed in the New Forest and this includes overnight stays in car parks. To report an incident of wild camping in the Forest, including in a Forest car park, please contact Forestry England on 0300 067 4600. 

Public toilets

Most of our toilet blocks are open with additional measures in place (such as extra cleaning and guidance on social distancing).

At cubical buildings a rotational opening system will be in place as part of the cleaning program. All buildings will be locked at night.

If you need to raise an issue about any of our toilets, you can contact us on  02380 285000 or

More information about public toilets


  • If you are involved in or witness a road traffic accident involving an animal, you should dial 999 and inform the police.
  • If you discover pony, cow, donkey, pig or sheep that is sick, injured or distressed, contact the Verderers of the New Forest

Noise complaints

Complaints about noise are investigated by our Environmental Health Officers. We can take action if the noise is considered to be a statutory nuisance. 

Contact us about a noise complaint


If you have concerns regarding smoke from your neighbour's bonfire, you may wish to discuss the matter with them as they may not be aware that there is a problem. This resolves the majority of complaints.

If this is not successful, we may formally investigate your complaint and offer individual advice. call 023 8028 5411 or email 

A 'one-off' incident is unlikely to be investigated.

Other sources of information

For New Forest District Council topics not covered here, please take a look at the rest of our website.

To contact us in an emergency outside our of our office hours, at weekends or on public holidays, call 023 8028 5250 or 07771 259098 if the landline is unavailable.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email