Toggle menu

Charity house to house collection permit

A house to house collection involves collecting money or donated items from houses, pubs or shops for the benefit of a charity.

On this page:


If you are intending on collecting money or property from houses, pubs or shops for the benefit of a charity then you will require a permit.

Some large charitable organisations hold a National Exemption Order which exempts them from having to apply for a permit. We keep a record of exempted organisations that have notified us of their intention to undertake a house to house collection.

The exempted charity collections notified for this year can be found in the document below.

House to house collections national exemptions register (PDF) [63KB] (opens new window)

Apply for a permit

You must submit your application at least one month prior to the date of the collection.

We suggest applying at least three months in advance to allow time to obtain identity badges from The Stationery Office (TSO) following the grant of the permit.

Applications should include a letter from the benefiting charity authorising you to collect on their behalf, unless you are an official of the charity.

You can apply online via the GOV.UK website using the link below.

Alternatively, you can download an application form below and send it to us using our contact details.

Charity house to house collection application form (PDF) [179KB] (opens new window)

There is no cost for the issuing of a permit, but there is a small charge made by TSO for the identity badges required.

There are regulations that must be complied with, which can be downloaded below.

House to house collections regulations (PDF) [114KB] (opens new window)

Unless there is a problem, we will process your application and the permit will be issued prior to your proposed collection date.

The permit must always be carried on you during the collection.

No collection can take place until ID badges have been issued. These are available from TSO on production of the council-issued permit. This badge must always be worn during the collection. Details for obtaining ID badges will be provided with the permit.

As part of the process, we may contact the police and other local authorities where house to house collections have taken place previously.

Collection dates and areas

Due to the high number of requests for house to house collection permits, we are unable to grant you more than one application per calendar year and for no longer than one month.

Those charities that hold a National Exemption Order fall outside this restriction.

You can only make an application for areas where you are certain you have collectors available.

Although we do not restrict the number of collections at any one time within an area, we do keep an online public register of house to house collections we have already approved which can be viewed on our public register.

After the collection

Within one month following your collection, you need to send a statement detailing the amount raised and any expenses deducted.

We will supply a statement form with the permit. This form must be certified by the promoter of the collection and either an accountant or an independent responsible person.

Even if no collection took place, you must submit a 'nil' return.

Statements can be submitted online, by email or by post to us.

Public register

We maintain public registers of charity collection permits.

View a register of all our Charity House to House Collection Permit holders using the link below.

Contact details

You can contact us using the details below.


Phone: 023 8028 5505

Licensing Services
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
SO43 7PA

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email