Toggle menu

Graffiti and vandalism

Graffiti and vandalism are illegal, anti-social activities. If you see graffiti or vandalism of council property, you can report it to us.

We take graffiti seriously and can prosecute offenders under the Criminal Damage Act 1971. If found guilty, penalties can include a jail sentence, a detention order or a heavy fine.

If you witness someone carrying out graffiti or vandalism, do not put yourself in danger by approaching them. You can report it immediately to the police.


Graffiti is the damage caused by spraying, writing, drawing or otherwise marking another person's property without their consent. 

We will remove graffiti from council property, for example:

  • public amenities like toilets
  • children's play areas
  • shelters
  • road signs.  

We prioritise removing offensive graffiti, for example if it is obscene or racist. We aim to remove it as soon as possible after it has been reported.

If there is graffiti on private property, it is the property owner's responsibility to remove it.


Vandalism is the deliberate physical damage or destruction of public or private property.  

If you see vandalism of council property, it can pose a danger to the community. You can report this to us.

Report graffiti or vandalism

If you see graffiti or other types of vandalism on council property, you can report it to us by using the online form below.

You can also can report it by calling us on 023 8028 5000.

Try to provide us with as much detail as possible, such as:

  • where the graffiti or vandalism is located
  • details about the words, pictures or other physical damage 
  • if the graffiti is racist, offensive or abusive 
  • if the damage could pose a danger to the community
  • if you saw who carried out the graffiti or vandalism.

Remember that you should not approach anyone carrying out graffiti or vandalism as this may put you in danger.

You can also report .

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email