Pay a penalty charge notice

A penalty charge notice is issued by the council to vehicles which are parked in contravention of the Off-street Parking Order (2005).

Do not ignore a penalty charge notice if you have received one. You should respond to it as soon as possible.

On this page:

Paying a penalty charge notice

The amount you have to pay will depend upon how soon you pay the penalty charge notice.

  • If you pay within 14 days of issue, the charge can be reduced by 50%.
  • If no payment is received within 28 days of issue, we will apply to DVLA for the registered vehicle owner's name and address. On receipt of this information, we will send a notice to owner (NtO).
  • If no appeal has been lodged or payment made 28 days after the NtO, a charge certificate is issued and the charge increases by 50%.

You can pay your penalty charge notice by phoneonline, in person or by post.

For further information on payment, call 023 8028 5000 or email

Pay by phone

You can pay by phone using our automated telephone payment service. Details of this service are provided on the rear of the penalty charge notice. This service is only available from 24 hours after the issue of the penalty charge notice.

You can pay over the phone using your credit or debit card by calling 023 8028 5000.

This service is available during normal office hours Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.15pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm.

Pay online

You can pay online with your credit or debit card, using the online form below.

Payment cannot be made online until the day after the penalty charge notice has been issued.

Pay in person

You can pay in person atone of our Information offices.

Pay by post

You can pay by sending a cheque or postal order to us by post.

Make the cheque or postal order payable to New Forest District Council and crossed A/C Payee. You will need to write the notice number and your address on the reverse of the remittance. Send your payment to us at the Parking Office.

Challenge a penalty charge notice

You may wish to challenge the issue of a penalty charge notice. Matters relating to a penalty charge notice can lead to a debt being registered at the County Court. Therefore all challenges must be submitted in writing, whether by email or hard copy.

If a challenge is not received within 14 days of the issue of a penalty charge notice, the full charge will apply if your challenge is unsuccessful.

You can challenge your penalty charge notice using the online form below.

You can also download the form below.

Icon for pdf Penalty Charge Notice Challenge Form [47.1KB]

Complete the form and send it by post to the Parking Office.

All challenges will be considered. We will write to inform you whether or not your challenge has been successful. If it has been rejected, we will allow you 14 days from the date of our reply to pay at the reduced charge.

Notice to owner letter

If payment of a Penalty Charge Notice has not been received 28 days after issue, we will send a notice to owner (NtO) letter to the registered owner of the vehicle. 

An NtO provides a final chance to pay the penalty charge notice or make a representation, which means appealing against the issue of the  notice. Representations must be made in writing, using the form incorporated in the NtO letter or the online representation form below.

Completed paperwork must be posted to the Parking Office.

If this representation is successful, the penalty charge notice will be cancelled. 

If it is not successful, we will send you a notice of rejection letter. You can then either pay the full charge or appeal to Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

Traffic Penalty Tribunal

Details of how to appeal

If you wish to appeal your notice of rejection letter, you will need to appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal is an independent organisation where a lawyer will examine your case. They will not charge you to appeal. The decision by Traffic Penalty Tribunal is final and binding on both sides.

In certain circumstances, when all efforts to recover the outstanding penalty charge notice amount (including any increased amounts relating to charge certificates) have failed, we may decide to register the charge as a debt at the County Court.

The debt will then be placed with independent enforcement agents who take full responsibility for collecting the debt. This will add further costs to the charge.

Contact us

For further information, contact the Parking Office. 


Phone: 023 8028 5000

Parking Office 
Appletree Court 
Beaulieu Road 
SO43 7PA

All penalty charge notice cases are regulated by our enforcement policy, which you can download below.

Icon for pdf Policy Guidelines for the Enforcement and Cancellation of Penalty Charge Notices [350.05KB]

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page