Rent council garages
Use the link below to pay your garage rent now.
We own garages throughout New Forest that are available to rent. We maintain a waiting list for popular locations.
The majority of garages have already been let. All existing void garages are being inspected for safety and availability. We will not contact anyone on the waiting list until the survey has been completed and we are confident that the garages are ready to let.
We are currently over subscribed. The garage waiting list is closed until further notice.
We can only provide garages without VAT to our named tenants or leaseholders. Renting a garage costs £10.70 per week (£12.84 including VAT). A maximum of two garages are VAT exempt.
Who can rent a garage
We limit who can rent a garage from us. To rent a garage or join the waiting list when it re-opens, you:
- must be aged 18 years or over
- cannot owe us any money for current or former housing or garage tenancies
- must be able to demonstrate you are a proper representative if applying on behalf of an organisation.
To be fair to all applicants, we have other conditions relating to renting a garage:
- garages must not be sublet
- applications for second garages are permitted, but priority is given to those who do not currently rent a garage
- preference will be given to New Forest residents.
General rules for renting a garage
Before you rent a garage from us, you will receive a complete list of the terms and conditions. You should note the following:
- four weeks of rent must be paid before we issue keys
- rent is payable strictly in advance and should be paid by Direct Debit
- personal identification, including proof of address, is required before keys are released
- garages are intended for storing a motor vehicle
- our garages are not guaranteed to be watertight, so general storage is discouraged
- we accept no liability for the theft of, or damage to, items stored in a garage.
We will apply an additional charge if you need replacement keys. This charge is currently £112.88.
If we need to clear the garage, we will charge this at actual cost plus VAT.
Garage rent arrears
If you fall into arrears, we will work with you to affordably repay the arrears and enable you to keep renting the garage.
However, we are not obligated to rent a garage to any individual. If the arrears persist or you do not keep payments in line with the agreement (rent is payable in advance), we will end your garage tenancy and seek recovery of any amounts outstanding. This could also include the cost of replacement keys and clearing the garage.
When arrears occur, we will contact you and provide details on how to reach us and clear the debt.
If you need to discuss your garage rent account, call us on 023 8028 5222.