Accidents in the workplace
Recording accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information helps to identify where and how risks arise.
This in turn allows employers to put measures in place to prevent accidents recurring.
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 - RIDDOR places a legal duty to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences.
This duty applies to employers, self-employed people and people in control of premises.
Report and accident, disease or dangerous occurrence
All incidents can be reported online, but a telephone service is provided to report a death or major injury , call the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) incident contact centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).
What should be reported
RIDDOR applies to all work activities, but not all incidents are reportable. You must report:
- major injuries
- injuries where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
- ijuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they have been taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
- some work-related diseases
- dangerous occurrences- where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
Why are accidents reported under RIDDOR important
It is important to report accidents as:
- reporting certain accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement
- the information enables us to identify where and how risks arise
- it enables us to investigate serious accidents
- we can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has produced a guide to Reporting accidents and incidents at work. Further information on RIDDOR is also available on the HSE website.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 023 8028 5411
Food and Safety Team, Appletree Court, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst, SO43 7PA