Toggle menu

Help with housing

We can give advice, support and guidance if you're having difficulty paying your rent or mortgage.

Paying your rent

You may be able to get help with your rent if you:

  • are on a low income
  • don't already get help with housing costs

Most people on a low income who are renting privately, from the council, or a housing association need to make a Universal Credit claim.

If you need help claiming Universal Credit you can contact Citizen Advice Bureau's 'Help to Claim' advisers. They can help you with the early stages of your Universal Credit claim. You can talk to them on the phone, or online over chat. 

Some people might need to claim Housing Benefit rather than Universal Credit for help with housing costs.

Our Housing Benefit section gives support with claiming and changing your circumstances.

If Housing Benefit or Universal Credit doesn't cover all of your rent, check to see if you can make a claim for a discretionary housing payment.

You may also be eligible for help from the Household Support Fund.

Paying your mortgage 

If you're having problems paying your mortgage, take action quickly to avoid getting in debt. Get help, see the Citizens Advice Bureau's advice on mortgages.

Housing loss prevention advice service

If you have received a written notice that someone is seeking possession of your home, you are now entitled to free legal advice.

The government has introduced a housing loss prevention advice service. A housing expert can talk to you to understand why you might be at risk of losing your home and will explain your options. Accessing this support as soon as possible can help you resolve your situation.  

Housing experts may be able to provide legal advice on illegal eviction, rent arrears, mortgage arrears, issues with welfare benefits payments, debt concerns, disrepair and other problems with housing conditions. And if you are required to attend a court hearing, they may be able to represent you.  

Find out more about the Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service on GOV.UK.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email