Toggle menu

Environmental Enforcement and Amenities team privacy notice

Our Environmental Enforcement and Amenities Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. 

For the purpose of the UK General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Controller is: 

New Forest District Council 

Appletree Court 

Beaulieu Road 



SO43 7PA 

Email: data. 

When you contact the Environmental Enforcement and Amenities Team, we will ask you for certain personal information in order to be able to assist with your enquiry.

Some of this information will need to be recorded and stored on our systems. This Privacy Notice aims to explain: 

  • the different kinds of personal data we process 
  • how we use your data 
  • how we store your data 
  • why we process your data 
  • when and why we share your information 
  • what are the legal grounds for processing your information

1. What kind of personal data do we process

NFDC Parking Enforcement

The information we collect includes title, name, postal address, email address, telephone contact numbers, relevant medical history (only if applicable to challenge, representation or appeal to a Penalty Charge Notice) and, if you are paying a PCN, your debit or credit card payment card details. 

NFDC Enviro-crime team

The information we collect includes Vehicle registration numbers and other details relating to the identification and use of a vehicle, title, name, postal address, email address, telephone contact numbers. If you are making a payment related to a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) you have received or payment to have your vehicle returned to you your debit or credit card details. 

NFDC Dog warden Service

The information we collect includes title, name, postal address, email address, telephone contact numbers, dog name and microchip details and if you are paying fees relating to a dog, your debit or credit card payment card details. 

NFDC Keyhaven River

The information we collect includes title, name, postal address, email address, telephone contact numbers, boat name and insurance details and if you are paying fees relating to your boat, bank account details for direct debits or annual payments or your debit or credit card payment card details for temporary moorings or launching fees. 

2. How we use your data

NFDC Parking Enforcement

If you have received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) we have a legal obligation to process the information you supply to us and where necessary to contact you. We will use your information to process your challenge, representation or appeal, including if applicable, taking payment and replying to your enquiry by telephone, email or by letter.

NFDC Dog warden Service

We have a duty to investigate if a dog is reported to us as one or more of the following: lost or straying; aggressive towards other dogs or people or reports of dog fouling. If you have contacted us and require us to reply to you, your information is needed to enable us to contact you.

NFDC Enviro-crime team

We have a duty to investigate environmental crime. This includes fly tipping, fly posting, abandoned vehicles, waste carrier and transfer offences and waste offences relating to individuals and/or businesses. If you have contacted us and require us to reply to you, your information is needed to enable us to contact you.

If we seize your vehicle, we will issue a seizure notice.

We will make the following information available to the public for at least 15 working days:

  • a brief description of the vehicle including its registration number
  • the date, time and place we seized the vehicle
  • the name of our authority (NFDC) and our contact details
  • how and when the owner can claim the vehicle and the proof of identity they will need to provide to us. This will be:
    • proof of identity - being a valid photo card driving licence or passport 
    • proof of address - being two different utility bills in the person's name no older than 3 months
    • where the seized property is a vehicle with a registration mark, and the person claiming entitlement purports to be the registered keeper of the vehicle, they must produce the registration document
    • where an Agent makes the claim on behalf of their Principal, they will need to produce the documents set out at 1 and 2 above for both themselves and their Principal, the document set out at 3 above and proof of authority to act as Agent
  • what will happen if the vehicle isn't claimed (e.g. it'll be sold or destroyed)
  • the power that we seized the vehicle under, e.g. section 5 of the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989 or section 34B of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

    We will put these details on a public notice in NFDC council offices at Appletree Court, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA within 1 working day of seizing the vehicle. We will also put these details on our website at

    A copy of the seizure notice will also be sent to:
    • the local chief office of police for the area we seized the vehicle from
    • the registered keeper
    • any other person identified as entitled to possession of the vehicle.

Contacting the owner

We tell the owner as soon as possible that we have seized their vehicle. This will be done by post and/or e-mail to the registered keeper.

If you choose not to provide some of the required information, we may not be able to progress your request.

NFDC Keyhaven River

Taking payment and replying to your enquiry by telephone, email or by letter. 

3. How we store your data

The information we collect is recorded and then stored on our secure system. We use technologies and software to safeguard and protect your data and keep strict security standards to prevent any unauthorised access to it. 

We will only store personal data for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data is processed. Information relating to financial payments is held for 6 years and in relation to dog incidents 6 years or the life of the dog whichever is sooner (subject to an annual review).

Abandoned vehicle and PCN registered keeper enquiries with DVLA must be retained for 2 years from the date of the enquiry as per article D6.2 of the WEE contract and article D6.3 of the KADOE contract between NFDC and DVLA. 

4. Why we process your data 

We need to process your data in order to make contact you regarding the transaction outlined in 2 above or deal with your request or enquiry or to investigate enviro crime, parking matters, dog related matters or matters relating to the operations of the Keyhaven river, moorings and dinghy park. 

5. When and why we share your information

Sometimes, in order to process your enquiry, deal with your complaint, process your application or consider your comments/ representations, we need to share the information that you give us; either with other service departments within New Forest District Council (for example Housing, Legal, Environmental Health), other external 'partner' organisations (for example Local Town & Parish Councils, New Forest National Park Authority, Hampshire County Council, and the Environment Agency), our external expert advisers and the Police who can also request information on individuals from the council at any point under the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018.

This may arise on matters relating the prevention and detection of crime and National Security. 

Below is a list of the most common council services or external bodies that we share information with.

This is not an exhaustive list given the nature of planning and the wide plethora of issues covered.

Information may, therefore, need to be shared with other services within the council or external bodies in order to process your enquiry, information or representation. 

List of information shared with council departments are:

  • NFDC Legal Services - for the provision of legal advice 
  • The Environment Agency - relevant enviro-crime enforcement matters where partnership working is involved. 
  • police - boat, vehicle or dog details when engaged in partnership working 
  • local newspapers - we publish mandatory legal notices in a Local Newspaper 
  • NFDC Estates - estates provide an input in terms of estate management and other legal matters relating our car parks 
  • NFDC Open Spaces - consulted on all applications proposing significant open space provision especially when ownership and management may well end up with NFDC. 
  • customer services - we may share information to book council services 
  • Chipside - vehicle details including registered keeper 
  • DVLA - vehicle registration numbers and registered keeper details 
  • Marstons - vehicle registered keeper details and vehicle registration number relating to debt collection 
  • local vets and kennels - details of dogs and their owners 
  • Silverlake - vehicle details and where required owners' details if the vehicle is being returned to them or details of MOT testing station where vehicle is being returned to

We will not share your information with any external party for marketing or promotional purposes. 

6. What are the legal grounds for processing your information

  • with your consent;
  • where there is a public interest to do so or in the exercise of official authority vested in the council;
  • in order to comply with a legal obligation;
  • where it is in the legitimate interest of the council to do so;
  • with your explicit consent or where there is a substantial public interest for special categories data

    Where we rely on your consent and you wish to withdraw this consent, you can do so by contacting us at the address above or at .

More information

For further information, plus information on access, portability, withdrawal of consent, correction etc. please see:

Information Rights Policy (PDF) [237KB]

If you have any questions about this privacy notice or your privacy in general, please email or telephone 023 8028 5000.

You can contact the Council's Data Protection Officer by email to

For more information on Data Protection in general, or if you wish to make a complaint relating to how your personal data has been used, please contact the Information Commissioner's Office:


Phone helpline: 0303 123 1113


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email