Temporary Event Notices

You'll need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you're holding an event with licensable activities.

You will also need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if the licensable activity or times you wish to hold the event are not in the terms of your existing premises licence or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities

You'll need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) for any of the following licensable activities:

  • sale or supply of alcohol
  • provision of late night refreshment, which is hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
  • regulated entertainment, for example music, singing, or dancing, unless incidental or exempt.

Who can apply for a Temporary Event Notice

To apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) you must be 18 years old or over.

You can apply for up to five TENs, this includes up to two late TENs, each year if you do not hold a Personal Licence.

You can apply for up to 50 TENs, this includes up to 10 late TENs, each year if you do hold a Personal Licence.

The person giving the notice is called the Premises User.

Temporary Event Notice criteria

A Temporary Event Notice must meet the following criteria.

  • Each event can't last more than 168 hours.
  • There must be at least a 24 hour gap between TENs for the same premises for the same premises user (or an associate).
  • No premises may be used more than 15 times per calendar year.
  • No premises may be used more than 21 days per calendar year in total.
  • No more than 499 persons in attendance including staff and performers.

Where the above criteria aren't met a Premises Licence will be required.

You will be responsible for ensuring you have all relevant permissions in place before an event takes place. Check our Event Organiser Checklist for guidance.

Major public events

The government have placed certain restrictions on the types of events that can go ahead due to Covid-19.

Before proceeding with organising a major public event you need to consult the latest government guidance.

If you intend to hold a major public event, please notify the Safety Advisory Group at an early stage before a formal notice is served to us.

This will allow, if necessary, the group to meet to consider and discuss your operating schedule, risk assessments and management plans to avoid potential objections.

When to submit a Temporary Event Notice

We encourage you to apply at least 28 days prior to the event where possible.

We must receive your Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and payment a minimum of 10 clear working days before the event.

Clear working days doesn't include the day of receipt, the first day of the event, Bank Holidays or weekends.

It is possible to apply for a late TEN. A late TEN can be submitted between nine and five clear working days before the event. Late TENs should only be used in exceptional circumstances.

If you submit a TEN with less than five working days notice the licensable activities requested will not be able to go ahead.

This period of notice is specified in law and there is no discretion to accept a shorter period of notice in any circumstance.

COVID-19 restrictions

It is currently against the law for gatherings of more than 30 people to take place in private homes (including gardens and other outdoor spaces).

Businesses and venues following COVID-19 Secure guidelines  can host larger groups.

This is also the case for events in public outdoor spaces that are organised by businesses, charitable or political organisations, and public bodies, provided they take reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of transmission, in line with COVID-19 Secure guidance.

Any other gatherings in an outdoor space must not be any larger than 30 people.

At any event the latest social distancing measures must be followed.

Guidance is available from GOV.UK via the following link Staying alert and safe (social distancing) 

In order to assist to deliver a safe event for both staff and attendees using the TENs process, you must now conduct a thorough Covid-19 Risk Assessment prior to the event.

To reduce objections being made by the police or environmental health on public safety grounds, you must submit  the risk assessment you have undertaken at the same time you serve the TEN to us.


Icon for pdf Guidance for Temporary Event Notices during COVID-19 [58.98KB]

HSE's what to include in your COVID-19 risk assessment .

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice using the online form below.

You will need to email us your Covid-19 Risk Assessment at the same time you submit your form online.

There is currently no facility to upload this via the GOV.UK website.

Alternatively, download the Icon for word Temporary Event Notice application form [205KB] which includes guidance notes below and return to us by email or post.

You must also submit your Covid-19 Risk Assessment at the same time.

Failure to submit your risk assessment may result in the event not being able to go ahead.

Once received we will serve a copy to our Environmental Health Department and the Chief Officer of the Police on your behalf.

We will acknowledge your Temporary Event Notice, usually by email, by the end of the next working day following receipt.

Providing our Environmental Health Department and the Police do not have any objections, within 3 working days, then the event may proceed.


The fee for each Temporary Event Notice is £21.00.

This fee is non-refundable or transferable if your event is cancelled or postponed for any reason.

If you are applying online then the fee can be paid at the same time.

If you are applying by email please include a contact telephone number on the form and an officer will call you to take payment.

Please note that we are unable to accept a BACS payment for TENs due to the regulatory timescales.


If our Environmental Health Department or the Police believe the event goes against any licensing objectives they must, no later than 3 working days after being given a copy of the Temporary Event Notice (TEN), object.

With your agreement the TEN can be modified in which case the objection can be withdrawn.

If the objection is not withdrawn we must hold a licensing sub-committee  hearing to consider the notice at least 24 hrs before the event.

If you have submitted a late TEN and an objection is received, then the notice can't be modified, and the licensable activities requested will not be able to go ahead. You cannot appeal this.

Public register

We maintain a public register of pending Temporary Event Notices, which you can view using the link below.

Contact details

You can contact us if you have any questions about Temporary Event Notices.


Phone: 023 8028 5505

Licensing Services
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
SO43 7PA.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page