Toggle menu

Check and challenge a rateable value

The amount of business rates you pay is affected by the rateable value of the property used by your business.

Rateable value is an assessment of the annual rent of your business premises, if it were available to rent on the open market at a fixed valuation date.

The rateable value of your business premises is set by the Valuation Office Agency. We have no involvement in the valuation process, but are required by law to work out your bill based on the value shown in the rating list.

Find out more about rateable value and business rates.

On this page:

Check a rateable value

You can check the rateable value of a property using the GOV.UK online form below.

The information provided usually includes details of how the rateable value was calculated, so you can check and challenge the details.

If there are changes made to a property, such as an extension, the rateable value may change. Any changes must be reported to We will ask the Valuation Office Agency to review the rateable value.

Challenge a rateable value

If the owner or ratepayer does not agree with the outcome of a rateable value check, they can challenge the valuation within four months of the check decision.  This can be done free of charge.

The GOV.UK website provides guidance on how to challenge your rateable value.

If you want to make a challenge, you must continue to pay your business rates until the result of your appeal is determined. 

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of a challenge, you can appeal the decision. 

There will normally be a charge to make an appeal, although if you are successful, your appeal fee will be refunded. 

Further details about the appeal process can be found at Rateable value appeal - Valuation Tribunal Service

To contact the Valuation Office Agency about the check, challenge and appeal process, call 03000 501 501 or write to:

Valuation Office Agency
Durham Customer Service Centre
Wycliffe House
Green Lane



Rating advisors

You do not have to be represented in discussions about your rateable value or your business rates bill.

If you wish to be represented, members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation are qualified. They are also regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before you employ a rating advisor, check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. You should take care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract, as you may become liable for charges or costs.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email