Toggle menu

Gambling licences and permits

If you wish to run premises used for betting, gaming and other types of gambling, you will need to apply for a licence or permit.

On this page:

Gambling policy

The Gambling Act 2005 splits the responsibility of gambling between the Gambling Commission and local authorities. As a local authority, we must:

  • prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder
  • ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Our statement of licensing principles is a legally required document, and is reviewed every three years. It outlines our policy in respect of the grant of licences, permits and registrations issued under the Gambling Act 2005. It also indicates how we will promote our responsibilities and our expectations of licence holders.

You can download our current Gambling Policy below.

New Forest Gambling Policy (PDF) [1MB] (opens new window)

Types of licences and permits

You are required to have a premises licence if you want to have any of these types of gambling businesses:

  • casino
  • bingo
  • betting premises
  • tracks
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres.

You must have a gambling permit for:

We also administer:

For more information about types of licences, visit the Gambling Commission website.

Who can apply

To apply for a premises licence or gambling permit, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • be authorised to make such an application (if applying on behalf of a company or partnership)
  • hold or have applied for operating licence from the Gambling Commission (if required).

Gaming and gaming machines in clubs

Members' clubs and similar may apply for either a Club Machine Permit or a Club Gaming Permit.

Both allow up to three machines in categories B3A, B4, C or D. 

The Club Gaming Permit also allows limited unequal chance gaming.

Gaming machines in alcohol-licensed premises

Pubs and other alcohol-licensed premises are automatically entitled up to two category C or D machines. You are required to submit a notification to us using the Alcohol Premises Gaming Machine Application Form below.

If more than two machines are to be provided, an Alcohol Premises Gaming Machine Permit will be needed.

Apply for a licence or permit

To apply for a premises licence or gambling permit, download the relevant application form below.

Gambling Premises Licence Application Form (PDF) [33KB] (opens new window)

Club Machine and Gaming Permits Application Form (PDF) [55KB] (opens new window)

Alcohol Premises Gaming Machine Application Form (PDF) [114KB] (opens new window)

Once completed, return the relevant form to us with the required documents and the fee

For a premises licence, there is also a 28 day consultation period following receipt of your complete application. You must therefore also:

  • advertise your application by publishing a notice in a locally circulated newspaper within ten working days (starting from the day after the application was submitted)
  • notify responsible authorities by sending a copy of your application form to them.

You can download contact details for responsible authorities below.

Gambling and Responsible Authorities (PDF) [96KB] (opens new window)

For further advice and notice templates, contact us.


The fee for a new premises licence depends on the type of gambling business.

  • Bingo: £2,500      
  • Betting premises (excluding tracks): £1,750              
  • Tracks: £1,320
  • Family entertainment centres: £1000
  • Adult gaming centres: £900

New permit fees depend on the type of permit required.

  • Licensing premises notification (one or two machines): £50   
  • Licensed premises permit (three or more machines): £150
  • Club gaming permit: £200
  • Club machine permit: £200
  • Prize gaming permit: £300
  • Family entertainment centre permit: £300

You can download a full list of Gambling Act fees below.

Gambling Act Fees (PDF) [45KB] (opens new window)

Public registers

We maintain public registers of gambling and betting licences.

View a register of all our licensed gambling premises using the link below.

View a register of all our Gaming Permit holders using the link below.

View a register of Gaming Notification holders in our area using the link below.

View a register of all our Club Machine Permit holders using the link below.

View a register of all our Club Gaming Permit holders using the link below.

Contact details

You can contact us if you have any questions about gambling licences.


Phone: 023 8028 5505

Licensing Services
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
SO43 7PA

Small society lottery registration

Non-commercial societies selling lottery or raffle tickets must register with us.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email