Toggle menu

Taxi licences

We are responsible for licensing taxis in the New Forest. This includes hackney carriage and private hire drivers, vehicles and operators.

Any vehicle carrying eight or fewer passengers for hire or reward must be licensed, and can only be driven by a licensed driver. Both licences must be issued by the same council. A private hire vehicle must receive its work from a licensed operator from the same council.

Hampshire County Council (HCC) have started work on a major scheme to improve the junctions along the A326 (South) between Marchwood and Fawley. Work started 28 June 2021 and is expected to be completed in a number of phases. Please expect delays during times of planned work and plan your journeys as appropriate. For information on the scheme visit HCC's transport scheme webpage.

Southampton City Council (SCC) have introduced changes for non-Southampton licensed vehicles that use certain areas in the city. This means you may be fined if you use a bus lane or Portland Terrace bus gate in Southampton. For information please visit SCC's bus lane changes webpage. Please direct any queries to SCC.

Taxi driver licence

Apply for a taxi driver licence for hackney carriage vehicles and private hire vehicles.

Taxi vehicle licences

Apply for a taxi vehicle licence for hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.

Private hire operator licence

A private hire operator licence is needed to accept bookings and dispatch licensed private hire vehicles.

Taxi ranks

Locate a taxi rank to hire a taxi licensed by the council.

Taxi advice for customers

To ensure your journey home is a safe one and to help you identify legitimate licensed vehicles and drivers, we have provided the following information.

Taxi and private hire policy consultation

The consultation on proposed changes to the draft Taxi Policy has now closed. Responses will be presented to the General Purposes and Licensing Committee for consideration at an Autumn meeting and to agree any amendments to the draft policy before it is approved. This date has not yet been confirmed.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email