Financial support for those that have to self-isolate

You can claim a self-isolation payment if you have to self-isolate and cannot work from home

The government has announced a Test and Trace Support Payment to support people on low incomes who have tested positive for COVID-19 and are having to self-isolate.

On this page:

Do I qualify?

To be eligible for this one-off payment you must:

  • live in the New Forest District area
  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • be currently receiving, or are the partner of someone in the same household who is receiving, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

If you meet the above eligibility criteria you will be entitled to a lump sum payment of £500. The payment will not reduce the amount of any of the above benefits.

Providing supporting information

You will have to supply supporting information including:

  • your 8 character NHS Test and Trace unique ID number
  • your national insurance number
  • your bank statements
  • your wage slips or proof of self-employment

We will check the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you have been asked to self-isolate. You can apply up to two weeks after your period of self-isolation ends.

Discretionary support

If you do not receive one of the state benefits above, but meet all other criteria, and are on a low income below £20,000 per year, usually work more than 16 hours a week, and your household will be in financial hardship as a result of having to self-isolate, you can apply for a discretionary payment of £500.  Please see the policy below for the eligibility criteria.

How to make your claim

To make your claim complete the online application below.

If you need any help in making your claim please call 01590 646121 or email

These schemes are due to end on 31 March 2021. 

For full details of the schemes, download the documents below.

Icon for pdf Test and Trace Policy V2 [330.04KB]

Icon for pdf Test and Trace Discretionary Payment Policy [524.75KB]

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page