Private housing

A range of support and advice is available regarding private housing, for both landlords and tenants. We can ensure that housing standards are met, provide grants for disability adaptations, and help landlords meet their obligations.

Private housing standards

We have a responsibility to ensure that all housing in the New Forest is suitable for people to live in.

If you rent your home and there is disrepair or other problems, you should first discuss any issues with your landlord. You should allow a reasonable amount of time for them to work on the problems. As well as discussing the matter with your landlord, you should confirm the details of the problem in writing.

If your landlord will not help or is taking too long to help, you can email our private sector housing team at or call 023 8028 5151.

We will help determine what action, if any, it is appropriate for us to take or how we can assist you to get the issue resolved.

Empty homes

Our aim is to bring long-term empty homes back into use and improve the standard of housing in our communities. If you need advice or notice an empty home, you can email or call 023 8028 5151.

We offer advice to help owners ensure that homes are in a standard suitable for people to live in. We always try to enable the return of properties to a decent standard using informal action. Where necessary, we may have to enforce owners to bring a property back into use.

Grants for disability adaptations

Grants to fund adaptations for people with a disability are available to owner-occupiers, tenants or landlords. The purpose is to assist with the costs of making a home suitable to meet the needs of a disabled person.

To apply for a grant, email or call 023 8028 5151.

You will need to complete a financial assessment form to confirm whether you are eligible for support. If you are, the types of funding available include:

  • Disabled Facilities Grant
  • Disabled Facilities Top Up Grant
  • Disabled Facilities Top Up Loan
  • Palliative Care and Hospital Discharge Grant
  • Minor Disabled Adaptation Grant
  • Home Repair Loans

The nature of the grant and the value will vary based on the works required and eligibility. We will advise on what is right for you.

Green Home Grants

For information about green home grants, you should visit

The grants will give homeowners, including owner occupiers and social/private landlords, vouchers to install one or more of the following:

  • solid wall, under-floor, cavity wall or roof insulation
  • air source or ground source heat pump
  • solar thermal

In addition, households can use their voucher for further energy saving measures. These include one or more of the following:

  • double or triple glazing/secondary glazing, when replacing single glazing
  • upgrading to energy efficient doors
  • hot water tank/appliance tank thermostats/heating controls

Households will be offered a list of approved TrustMark and MCS registered trades people in their local area to carry out the work. Once the works are agreed, vouchers will start to be issued from the end of September so work can commence.

Support for private landlords

As a private landlord, you have certain obligations. You must:

  • keep properties safe and free from hazards
  • make sure gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • provide an Energy Performance Certificate
  • protect your tenant's deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • check your tenant has the right to rent your property
  • give your tenant a copy of the 'How to rent' checklist when they start renting.

We can give advice on this and help you meet your obligations. You can email or call 023 8028 5151.

Homes in multiple occupation

A home in multiple occupation (HMO) is a house or flat occupied by three or more people from two or more households, who share a bathroom, kitchen or other amenities.

Landlords must apply to register any properties that meet this criteria with us. There is an unlimited fine for failure to comply.

To discuss if a property is an HMO, or to obtain an application form to register an HMO, email or call 023 8028 5151.

Private sector leasing

We are looking for properties to lease from private owners. We can offer:

  • a guaranteed monthly rental income
  • free housing management services (excluding repairs)
  • no tenancy-related legal costs
  • no hidden fees
  • no fee to join the scheme
  • a hassle-free management service with a guaranteed rent.

Alternatively, we can work in partnership with you; linking you up with tenants who we are currently working with to prevent their homelessness. This could be because another landlord is selling their property or they have had to move area. We offer full support and can ensure that Universal Credit or Standing Orders are set up for your rent payments. We are then just a call away should your tenant need support in the future.

For further information, download the Private Sector Leasing brochure below.

Icon for pdf Private Sector Leasing [184.05KB]

To partner with us on this scheme, please email

A council-owned mobile home park in Poulner near Ringwood.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page