Toggle menu

Planning support for businesses reopening

On this page:

Safe working poster templates

You can display the following posters at your business to show you are following government guidance to protect staff and members of the public. 


Moveable structures in the curtilage of pubs, cafes, restaurants and historic visitor attractions

On 16 April 2021 a time-limited permitted development right was introduced by the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) (Coronavirus) Order 2021 (SI 2021/467) allowing one moveable structure in the curtilage of pubs, cafes, restaurants and historic visitor attractions, including where all of these are listed buildings, without the requirement to submit a planning application (allowed for in Class BB of Part 4 of Schedule 2 of the General Permitted Development Order).  This time-limited permitted development right ended on 1 January 2022.

Two permanent rights have now been introduced to provide for moveable structures within the curtilage of pubs, cafes, restaurants and for historic visitor attractions and listed buildings in scope of this right.  The amended right provides for one moveable structure for up to 120 days in a twelve month period, subject to prior approval in relation to the siting and method of installation of the moveable structure. The right also requires the reinstatement of the land to its original condition once the moveable structure is removed and a requirement for consultation with Historic England.


Changes to Planning Use Class Order

On 20 July 2020, the government introduced changes to the Use Classes Order in England. The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes)(Amendment)(England) Order 2020 came into effect from 1 September 2020 and created a Class E, which combines commercial, business and service classes. This includes:

  • shops
  • financial services
  • restaurants and cafes
  • office
  • nurseries
  • health centres and gyms.

This entitles a mix of uses within this class without the need for planning permission. 

We have further information on our website about permitted development rights for businesses


Prevention of demolishing venues

The government introduced changes to prevent the demolition of concert halls, live music venues or theatres under permitted development.

From 3 December 2020, the proposed demolition of such venues will need to be considered as part of a planning application.


Further information

Guidance for undertaking risk assessments and answers to common questions can be found on our business support page.

Disability Essentials E-Learning Course

Offering businesses exclusive free access to a Disability Essentials E-Learning Course

Town and village mapping

Aerial and 360 degree panorama of some of our key business areas

Welcome Back Fund

Details of initiatives funded by the Welcome Back Fund

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email