Event organiser checklist

An event organiser is responsible for the safety of everyone at an event, including the public, employees and volunteers.

Event organisers, and others involved in running an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.

If you are organising a public event, you should review our public events safety advice. You should also notify the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) in advance.

Check the following information before starting to organise your event.

On this page:

Check the date

Organisers may wish to check that their planned event does not clash with others.

You can view a register of public events listed by the SAG using the link below.

Visit the National Park Authority website for a list of upcoming events at the National Park.

Visit The New Forest website for an events calendar.

Other organisations in New Forest also produce calendars of events.

Pony round-up dates

Pony round-up dates are provided by the Verderers of the New Forest. If your event falls on one of these dates, call the Verderers' office on 023 8028 2052 to obtain location details. This is essential in avoiding public safety issues on the day of your event.

You can download a list of pony round-up dates below.

Icon for pdf Pony Round-Up Dates 2021 [206.19KB]

Check if you have permission

It is important you gain permission from the landowner where you wish to hold your event.

To establish who owns the land, visit the GOV.UK website and check the Land Registry.

To see whether the land is owned by us, use our online mapping service.

You may also need to check if you need planning permission from the relevant planning authority.

Check if you need a licence

You can use the GOV.UK Licence Finder to identify the licences you may need.

If licensable activities are planned for the event, you may require a Premises Licence or to submit a Temporary Event Notice.

Licensable activities are:

  • sale or supply of alcohol
  • provision of late night refreshment (hot food or drink served between 11pm and 5am)
  • regulated entertainment, for example music, singing, or dancing.

If your event includes any activities which involve animals, the exhibitor may need an Animal Exhibition Licence. You should check that they have one before allowing them to attend. Examples of this include:

  • falconry displays
  • ferret racing
  • animal petting
  • horse and cart rides
  • pony or donkey rides.

Check if you need a Road Closure Order

If your event requires a road to be closed for any length of time, you may need to apply for a Road Closure Order.

For further information, visit the Hampshire County Council website for traffic advice for public events.

Information for cycling events

It can be challenging to enable an enjoyable cycling event while minimising disruption to residents and limiting the impact on the natural area.

The New Forest National Park has therefore produced the New Forest National Park cycling code, which all organisers are expected to follow.

All organisers are also required to follow the Icon for pdf Cycle Event Organiser's Charter [165.46KB]

The charter refers organisers to the location of riding schools in the New Forest, which should be considered when route planning. You can download a map of riding school locations below.

Icon for pdf Map of riding school locations [2.78MB]

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page