Building regulation applications

Your building work must comply with the Building Regulations 2010. To demonstrate this, you can submit an application to us.

Full plans application

A full plans application must include:

  • a site plan
  • proposed plans and elevations
  • building specification.

In some cases, structural calculations may also be required. The information should provide enough detail to demonstrate compliance to the Building Regulations.

Our surveyors will thoroughly check the information and plans, as well as carry out any necessary consultations, for example fire and sewerage consultation. This also allows any potential issues to be identified before the works commence on site.

If the plans comply with the Building Regulations, a notice will be sent stating that the plans have been approved. This will be received within six to eight weeks from the date when the plans were deposited.

If the plans do not comply with the Building Regulations, we may request amendments or further information. Alternatively, we may issue a conditional approval.

Building notice application

A building notice application is generally a quicker process than a full plans application, as there is no obligation to provide plans for checking.

This type of application is most suitable for smaller works which need to be undertaken promptly, since works can commence after submitting the application.

You cannot use a building notice application for work that:

  • is subject to section 1 of the Fire Precautions Act 1971
  • is subject to Part II of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997
  • will be built close to or over rainwater and foul drains shown on the 'map of sewers'
  • results in a new building fronting onto a private street.

To submit a building notice application, you should be confident that the work will be carried out to fully comply with the Building Regulations. Otherwise there is a risk that corrective works may be requested.

Structural calculations or design may be requested by the inspecting surveyor, which must then be provided.

Regularisation application

Where works have been conducted without building regulations approval, a regularisation application will be required.

This is a retrospective application concerning previously unauthorised works which started on or after 11 November 1985.

Exposure, removal and/or corrective works may be needed to show compliance with the Building Regulations, depending on the type of work.

Contact our technical support team to discuss your individual circumstances and determine if a regularisation application is required.

Reversion application

Reversion applications apply when your private building control service provider can no longer continue to oversee your project.

If this situation arises, you can contact us for advice by calling 023 8028 5245 or emailing


All application fees are bespoke to your works. You will need to send us a sketch or plan with details of your proposal. We will then calculate your individual fee.

We will require the following information to help calculate your fee:

  • Address of property including postcode.
  • Full scope of works, cost, duration.
  • A copy of your plans.
  • Contact name.
  • Contact number.
  • Planning reference number if applicable.

You can also call us on 023 8028 5245 or email questions to

Submit an application

You can submit any of the above types of application to us using the online form below.

Alternatively you can submit an application form, which can be downloaded below:

Icon for pdf Building regulation application form [717.4KB]

Complete the application form and email it to You can also print the form and send it by post to:

Building Control
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
O43 7PA


If you have a seven-digit building control reference number, you can pay online via the form below.

Alternatively, we accept payment by debit or credit card. Call 023 8028 5245 and a member of the building control administration team will take your payment.

If you wish to pay by cheque, make it payable to New Forest District Council and post it to the address above.

When to pay

Full plan applications: payment is required when the application is submitted. This will be clarified at the fee quote stage. If not approved, a resubmission of an amended scheme will generally be accepted without further payment.

Building notice applications: a single fee is required on submission. The amount payable depends on the type of project. This will be confirmed in your fee quote.

Regularisation applications: Fees are payable when the application is submitted.

Reversion applications: Fees will be calculated following the first site visit.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page