Search site

How to pay

Online ContactEmail: Housing Rents

Tel: 023 8028 5222

The Council sets the rent and service charges for each property and garage that it owns or lets on behalf of private individuals as part of the Private Sector Leasing Scheme. We offer a variety of payment methods to suit individual circumstances.

Ways to pay your rent

Please remember, whichever method you choose, you should always ensure that you pay your rent in advance.

If you would like to change the way you pay your rent or if you want more information on any of the payment methods listed here, please contact the Housing Rents team using the any of the details above.

Cash payments made at our offices will be credited to your account instantly. Payments using other methods can take up to four days to reach your account.

Direct Debit

Direct Debit (DD) is the easiest way to pay your rent. Use the adobe icon Direct Debit Mandate [239kb] or contact us to arrange for one to be sent to you.

Over half of our tenants are enjoying the advantages in paying their rent and service charges by DD. For example:

  • Advance notice of the amounts due and dates payable are always given.
  • Hassle free - changes to payment amounts are calculated by us and you are notified in plenty of time before the payment is due.
  • No need to remember to pay each month.
  • A choice of dates - pay either on the 1st or 15th of each month.
  • Payments are made automatically from your bank account and onto your rent account on the due date.
  • You are fully protected by the Direct Debit guarantee.
  • Continues automatically but can be cancelled at any time.
  • No more cheques to write or postage to pay.
  • No more visits to a council office.


Online and Automated Payments

We have a number of methods available for your convenience. You will need your seven digit tenancy reference number when making any payments.

  • You can pay online now using a debit or credit card.
  • You can call 0300 456 0626 and pay using the automated payment service.
  • You can call the number above and speak to a customer services officer to pay.
  • You can pay using your personal online banking. You will need the adobe icon Online Banking Details [83kb].


Standing Order

You can use your online banking bill payment facility, or go in person to a branch of your bank, to set up a Standing Order. You will need the adobe icon Standing Order Details [83kb].

A Standing Order offers you the flexibility of selecting a payment date and frequency to suit your own circumstances. However, you must remember to inform your bank if your rent amount changes. Please remember that if you wish to pay by Standing Order monthly, you should first contact the Housing Rents team to obtain the correct monthly amount to pay.


In Person

We also offer the opportunity to pay either over the phone, by calling the number above and speaking to someone in our Customer Services Centre, or you can pay using a debit or credit card at any of our offices. In both cases, you should have your seven digit tenancy reference number to hand.

Cash is accepted at any Office, as are cheques or postal orders. Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to 'New Forest District Council' and crossed '& Co'. You should then write your name, address and seven digit tenancy reference number on the reverse.


Other payment methods

You can pay through the post by sending a cheque or postal order addressed to New Forest District Council, Town Hall, Lymington, SO41 9ZG. NEVER post cash. Cheques and postal orders sent by post should follow the guidance within the 'In Person' section above.

Finally, you can pay your rent at our offices, a Post Office or any payzone location using a swipe card. You can request a swipe card from us

Payzone locations can be found here. Please note we are not responsible for the content of external websites.


Help with paying your rent

Our housing rent officers can give you advice and assistance on paying your rent. If you are having difficulty paying rent you must contact our office straight away. It is your responsibility to ensure your rent is paid on time.

See our Arrears Prevention page for more advice if you are experiencing, or think you may soon experience, difficulties in paying your rent.

If you are on a low income and need help paying your rent, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. Don't delay in making a claim, as you may lose out on help you are entitled to.

If you are currently getting Housing Benefit, but the amount you get is less than your rent and this shortfall is causing you financial hardship you can apply for discretionary housing payments.

Updated: 1 Apr 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM